Art to Warm Homes and Hearts
Whether you have a traditional home yearning for classic impressionism, a contemporary home with a large wall needing a dramatic focal point, or a minimalist home seeking “the one perfect piece,” art can be the finishing touch that transforms your home into a reflection of your personal style.
While some may consider selecting art an exciting adventure, for others it is confusing and overwhelming. Adding art can be easy and manageable and it will add interest and warmth to a room. Here are a few suggestions that will get you started in the right direction.
- Explore your tastes by checking out museums, local galleries, and art in the public spaces such as banks, restaurants, and libraries.
- Select art by size to fit a particular space. Measure the area and make sure to leave enough “white space” so that the art will not feel crowded. Conversely, art that is too small will be lost and look like it’s floating.
- Select by color, choosing one or two of the boldest colors in your room and look for art that incorporates those colors. You’re not looking for an exact match – picking up one or two of the same colors will send a message that the painting belongs in the space.
- Consider a gallery wall or cluster of wall decor taking up a large space. A gallery wall can be so many things, genuinely representing your lifestyle, travels, pursuits, passion, nostalgia – you get the picture.
Give the Gift of Art
This time of year, finding a unique and personal gift can be a challenge. We came across Greenbox Art, a company that helps make the process of finding art for others as gifts or for your own home, less stressful and loads of fun.
Here is the process they suggest:
- Make a list. Describe the recipient in a few words. Funny? Serious? Stylish? Traditional? When you look at a piece of art, determine whether this same list can be used to describe the piece of art. If so, you’re on the right track.
- Visualize. What does this person’s home look like? Lots of reds, or tons of antiques, or Danish modern furniture? How would a particular piece of art fit into that decor?
- Size it up. There are many options for canvas size. At Greenbox Art, pieces are available in a variety of sizes and shapes that will make it easy to customer the art to your recipient’s space.
- Search the website starting with color, subject matter, or price range. Or, find an artist whose work reminds you of the recipient and discover the variety of pieces he or she has created.